Sunday, February 19, 2023

Genre exploration

 Hello, I have good news! I have researched my genres and how they work. The main genre I researched was the coming of age genre. I watched videos on youtube and checked out some articles, but the one that stood out the most was a video essay on youtube (which you can watch here) that really explains the genre fully and made me think about new things. One of which being the color palette of the film. This topic brought up questions that I’ll need to answer to find a fit for my project. How do I want my audience to interpret the film, and how do I want them to feel while watching it. Coming of age films usually centralize on the free feeling of adolescence and being in the “good old days”, a nostalgic feel that romanticizes your teenage years. Films that incorporate these feelings are Mid 90’s, Last Summer, call em by your name, the kings of summer, boyhood, and summer of ‘03. These all have specific color palettes that give off different feelings, as explained in the video essay. I feel like finding out how I want the audience to feel is going to play a big part in how color is going to be used in my project. I focused a lot on sound elements last year and I feel like this year lighting and color is my next challenge. 



I can definitely incorporate signature lighting use in my project, and all aspects of it. Since I did take 3 years of photography and am currently in the AP 2-D art and design class, lighting and framing won’t be as challenging as I am anticipating. I am really excited to start on production but I do need to figure out some stuff before I do, such as characters and a script. 

As I work on these things, I bid you fairwell and shall return once the week begins again. Okay… bye <3

No comments:

Post a Comment

Project components

 As the year comes to a close, so does this project that I've put blood, sweat, and tears into (like literal tears.) Each component will...